Arctic ice level drops to new historic minimum
Brisbane: German researchers have revealed that the area covered by Arctic sea ice reached its lowest point this week since the start of satellite observations in 1972.
“On September 8, the extent of the Arctic sea ice was 4.240 million square kilometres. This is a new historic minimum,” the Brisbane Times quoted Georg Heygster, head of the Physical Analysis of Remote Sensing Images unit at the University of Bremen’s Institute of Environmental Physics, as saying.
The new mark is about half-a-per cent under his team’s measurements of the previous record, which occurred on September 16, 2007, he said.
But according to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre (NSIDC), the record set on that date was 4.1 million sq km.
The discrepancy, Heygster explained, was due to slightly different data sets and algorithms.
“But the results are internally consistent in both cases,” he said.
Arctic ice cover plays a critical role in regulating Earth’s climate by reflecting sunlight and keeping the polar region cool.
Retreating summer sea ice -- 50 per cent smaller in area than four decades ago -- is described by scientists as both a measure and a driver of global warming, with negative impacts on a local and planetary scale.
It is also further evidence of a strong human imprint on climate patterns in recent decades, the researchers said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview