Army marks environment day with tree plantation drives
Kolkata: The Army which contributes significantly in keeping large tracts of Maidan area in the heart of the city green, today undertook a tree plantation drive at its Ballygunj Military Camp to mark World Environment Day.
Together with volunteers and technicians from Tata Motors, day-long events of awareness were held in the military camp involving school children and army personnel to propagate the need to reduce carbon footprints for a better and pollution free environment.
With army being one of the largest users of motorised vehicles for its operations, special pollution free checks on a large number of military vehicles were undertaken at the workshop by engineers and technicians, officials said.
The Bengal Area of the army is the custodian of large tracts of land in Maidan where they have already undertaken concerted tree plantation drives to sustain greenery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir