Army marks environment day with tree plantation drives
Kolkata: The Army which contributes significantly in keeping large tracts of Maidan area in the heart of the city green, today undertook a tree plantation drive at its Ballygunj Military Camp to mark World Environment Day.
Together with volunteers and technicians from Tata Motors, day-long events of awareness were held in the military camp involving school children and army personnel to propagate the need to reduce carbon footprints for a better and pollution free environment.
With army being one of the largest users of motorised vehicles for its operations, special pollution free checks on a large number of military vehicles were undertaken at the workshop by engineers and technicians, officials said.
The Bengal Area of the army is the custodian of large tracts of land in Maidan where they have already undertaken concerted tree plantation drives to sustain greenery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery