Army marks environment day with tree plantation drives
Kolkata: The Army which contributes significantly in keeping large tracts of Maidan area in the heart of the city green, today undertook a tree plantation drive at its Ballygunj Military Camp to mark World Environment Day.
Together with volunteers and technicians from Tata Motors, day-long events of awareness were held in the military camp involving school children and army personnel to propagate the need to reduce carbon footprints for a better and pollution free environment.
With army being one of the largest users of motorised vehicles for its operations, special pollution free checks on a large number of military vehicles were undertaken at the workshop by engineers and technicians, officials said.
The Bengal Area of the army is the custodian of large tracts of land in Maidan where they have already undertaken concerted tree plantation drives to sustain greenery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'