Arunachal introduces a bill for protection of tigers
Itanagar: Three days after a Royal Bengal Tigress was killed and hacked to pieces at Itanagar zoo, the Arunachal Pradesh government today introduced a Bill in the state assembly for protection of the big cats.
The bill, The Arunachal Pradesh Forest and Special Tiger Protection Forces Bill 2012, was introduced by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki, who also holds the Environment and Forest portfolio, during the first day of the three-day session.
The bill would provide scope for constitution and regulation of Arunachal Pradesh Forest Protection Force and Arunachal Pradesh Special Tiger Protection Force, for better protection and security of forests, forest produce, forest infrastructure besides, wildlife inside and outside the forests and tigers and other wild animals in tiger reserves.
Miscreants killed Oni, a third generation young Royal Bengal tigress, in her enclosure on Monday night and left with the flesh without taking the valued teeth, skin and claws, leaving the zoo officials in a dilemma about the motive behind the gruesome act.
The forest department yesterday terminated the services of three contingency staff and suspended one forest guard of Itanagar Zoo for dereliction in duty.
Three other important bills were introduced in the assembly today, including Arunachal Pradesh Property Rights to Slum Dwellers Bill 2012, moved by Urban Development Minister Rajesh Tacho, The Himalayan University, Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh) Bill 2012 and The Apex Professional University Bill 2012, moved by Education Minister Bosiram Siram.
The house also observed two-minute silence during obituary references to former Rajya Sabha member from Arunachal Ratan Tama who died on May 25 and former Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh who died on August 14 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel