Arunachal introduces a bill for protection of tigers
Itanagar: Three days after a Royal Bengal Tigress was killed and hacked to pieces at Itanagar zoo, the Arunachal Pradesh government today introduced a Bill in the state assembly for protection of the big cats.
The bill, The Arunachal Pradesh Forest and Special Tiger Protection Forces Bill 2012, was introduced by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki, who also holds the Environment and Forest portfolio, during the first day of the three-day session.
The bill would provide scope for constitution and regulation of Arunachal Pradesh Forest Protection Force and Arunachal Pradesh Special Tiger Protection Force, for better protection and security of forests, forest produce, forest infrastructure besides, wildlife inside and outside the forests and tigers and other wild animals in tiger reserves.
Miscreants killed Oni, a third generation young Royal Bengal tigress, in her enclosure on Monday night and left with the flesh without taking the valued teeth, skin and claws, leaving the zoo officials in a dilemma about the motive behind the gruesome act.
The forest department yesterday terminated the services of three contingency staff and suspended one forest guard of Itanagar Zoo for dereliction in duty.
Three other important bills were introduced in the assembly today, including Arunachal Pradesh Property Rights to Slum Dwellers Bill 2012, moved by Urban Development Minister Rajesh Tacho, The Himalayan University, Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh) Bill 2012 and The Apex Professional University Bill 2012, moved by Education Minister Bosiram Siram.
The house also observed two-minute silence during obituary references to former Rajya Sabha member from Arunachal Ratan Tama who died on May 25 and former Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh who died on August 14 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi