Assam conservationist selected for Antarctica expedition
Guwahati: Assam conservationist Rituraj Phukan has been selected to tour Antarctica as a member of British polar explorer Robert Charles Swan`s team for the 15-day International Antarctic Expedition 2013.
Phukan, an environmental and wildlife conservationist and secretary general of the Nagaon-based Green Guard Nature organization, was selected on the basis of an essay he had written in August last on why he wants to tour Antarctica and how he plans to share and apply his knowledge in Assam.
He was informed about his selection last month.
Phukan said today that he would have to reach Ushuia in Argentina, the southernmost city in the world by February 28, 2014 and the total cost of the expedition would be 20,000 US dollars.
"I have to deposit 5,000 dollars before October 15 to confirm my participation and the remaining 5,000 dollars by December One for which I am in touch with several organisations for sponsorship``, he added.
Swan, the first person to walk to both the North Pole and South Pole, had already taken about 640 people to Antarctica during his expeditions since 2003 conducted by his organisation 2041.
Swan founded 2041 whose name has been derived from the Antarctic Treaty that prohibits drilling and mining activity in the continent till 2041.
The objective of the expedition is to raise awareness about global warming, climate change and to have a first-hand experience of Antarctica, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners
- Political novice Gudni Johannesson elected Iceland president amid football fever