Assam conservationist selected for Antarctica expedition
Guwahati: Assam conservationist Rituraj Phukan has been selected to tour Antarctica as a member of British polar explorer Robert Charles Swan`s team for the 15-day International Antarctic Expedition 2013.
Phukan, an environmental and wildlife conservationist and secretary general of the Nagaon-based Green Guard Nature organization, was selected on the basis of an essay he had written in August last on why he wants to tour Antarctica and how he plans to share and apply his knowledge in Assam.
He was informed about his selection last month.
Phukan said today that he would have to reach Ushuia in Argentina, the southernmost city in the world by February 28, 2014 and the total cost of the expedition would be 20,000 US dollars.
"I have to deposit 5,000 dollars before October 15 to confirm my participation and the remaining 5,000 dollars by December One for which I am in touch with several organisations for sponsorship``, he added.
Swan, the first person to walk to both the North Pole and South Pole, had already taken about 640 people to Antarctica during his expeditions since 2003 conducted by his organisation 2041.
Swan founded 2041 whose name has been derived from the Antarctic Treaty that prohibits drilling and mining activity in the continent till 2041.
The objective of the expedition is to raise awareness about global warming, climate change and to have a first-hand experience of Antarctica, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes