Assam Guv calls for balance in ecology, Marathon in Kaziranga
Guwahati/Kaziranga: Assam Governor Janaki Ballabh Patnaik today called upon the people to take practical steps for striking a balance in ecology and environment rather than merely observing global events.
Addressing a gathering of students at the Raj Bhavan here on the occasion of the World Environment Day, Patnaik urged everybody not to treat such occasions merely as a ceremony but take it "as a day of reckoning to pledge oneself to plant a tree each for a safer, cleaner, brighter and better tomorrow."
He asked everybody to convince each of their own family members to take the `green path`.
Patnaik further stated that due to industrialisation, most of the rivers in the country had become polluted but probably the Brahmaputra was the least polluted river in India due to few industries in the region.
Meanwhile, a Marathon run was organised in Kaziranga National Park on the occasion of World Environment Day today with nature and wildlife conservationists vowing to protect the rich bio-resources of the World Heritage site.
A section of young enthusiastic nature and wildlife lovers from across the state ran for the Green cause of conservation of the Park, famed for the one-horned rhinoceros, along a portion the National Highway 37 that flanks the southern boundary of Kaziranga National Park (KNP).
The Marathon, organised by environmental group, Aaranyak, was flagged off by Assam`s Minister for Environment and Forest Rockybul Hussain who also a planted a sapling at the culmination of the race at Kohora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video