Assam ties up with TERI to harness solar potential
Guwahati: Assam has tied up with The Energy Resource Institute (TERI) for application of solar energy in the state, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said Thursday.
Noting Assam has tremendous potential in this vital renewable energy resourcs, he said it can help to provide electricity to each and every poor household and remotest corner of the state.
"We have tied up with TERI in the use and application of solar energy. We want to go in a big way on the solar energy front which will help to meet our power requirements and at the same time help conserve our environment," said Gogoi in his address at a seminar on "Empowering Assam: from Deficiency to Abundance - Tapping Small Hydro, Biomass & Solar Potential" here.
He exuded optimism that the power plants coming up from renewal energy sources in the near future would bring in faster development in the state, particularly in the tea gardens and char areas.
Assam Electricity Regulatory Commission chairman N.K. Das said Assam Power Distribution Corporation Ltd has been aiming towards the development and growth of renewal energy as an alternate source of energy in the state and to meet its renewable purchase obligation (RPO) requirements.
"The growth of solar market has been driven by the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM), an initiative under the National Action Plan for Climate Change (NAPCC). It has set a target of installing 22 GW of solar by 2020.
"NAPCC has made it mandatory for every State and other large power consumers to fulfil 20 per cent of their power requirements from renewable resources. The power purchase obligation of 20 per cent from renewal energy must have a 3 per cent share of power drawn from solar energy sources," Das said.
He further said connecting solar power to the grid would bring about further improvement in power position and make solar power more economical and affordable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes