Assam`s Guinness bid: 40,885 saplings planted in an hour
Guwahati: In a bid to enter the Guinness World Records, 100 people Sunday planted 40,885 saplings within an hour near the Chirang Reserve Forest in lower Assam.
They wanted to break the record of 26,422 saplings planted in an hour in a Northern Ireland park two years ago.
Between 11 am and 12 noon, 100 men from the state`s forest department, Dogra Regiment and 135 Ecological Battalion (Territorial Army) planted the saplings on the banks of the Saralbhanga river.
The event was video-graphed in the presence of three independent observers and the footage would now be sent to Guinness World Records, said C. Ramesh Kumar, divisional forest officer of Haltugaon Forest Division under the Chirang Reserve Forest.
"We have contacted the Guinness authorities for recording the event. However, as per their norms, they advised us to engage independent observers from the area. We appointed three persons, including former Kokrajhar Kendriya Vidyalaya principal of B. Lal and former Kokrajhar DIET principal C. Brahma," Kumar told IANS.
"Our objective is not just to establish a record. Our motto is `plant a tree, save a life`. We want to highlight the loss of trees in our area and impress upon the civil society to do its duty to save the forests," he said.
The men carried out several rehearsals at the Dogra Regiment base in Kokrajhar to successfully complete the task, he said.
"We are hopeful of breaking Northern Ireland`s record. The men targeted to plant 50,000 saplings but only 40,855 could planted be within the stipulated time," Brahma, one of independent observers, said.
"We are going to send the video for verification and hope they (Guinness authorities) declare the decision in one month," said Kumar.
In 2010, 100 men from the Ireland-Western Health and Social Care Trust One had planted 26,422 trees in an hour at the Gransha Park.
India`s northeastern region has lost about 549 square km of forest cover despite a Supreme Court ban on unauthorised tree felling, says a 2011 Forest Survey of India report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know