At least 67 Olive Ridley turtles let into sea
Nagapattinam: As many as 67 Olive ridley turtles, hatched in the artificial hatchery run by the forest department at Kodiakarai here, were let into the sea today.
Kodiakarai and Vedaranyam areas in Nagapattinam coast attract a large number of Olive Ridleys every year during the nesting season, which begins in December and continues till March. The female turtles travel towards the coast to lay eggs.
On the coast, each female turtle lays around 100 eggs and returns to the sea. The hatching period ranges around 60 days. Predators like dogs, crows and vultures damage and
eat the eggs on the coast. Most eggs get damaged and only a handful successfully hatch.
Olive Ridley turtles have been classified as endangered species and the Nagapattinam wildlife department has set up a hatchery at Kodiakarai to hatch the eggs artificially.The
Forest Department has set up egg collection centres at six points in Veadaranyam coast.
Official sources said this year over 825 eggs were collected.
The forest department has intensified patrolling along the Vedarnayam and Kodiakarai coast to prevent illegal collection of eggs. The sources said Ridley eggs do not possess any curative or healing effect. On the contrary, they said consumption of the egg could cause piles and other diseases and warned the people not to be carried away by false claims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM