Australia accused of wrongly presenting emissions report
Melbourne: Australia has allegedly
wrongly presented its carbon emissions report by ignoring a
massive rise in polluting gases from its agricultural and
forestry industries, a report said on Monday.
This "misrepresentation" by the government has led to
severe criticism from all quarters at the UN climate summit
going on in Copenhagen.
Australia has ignored a massive rise in polluting
gases from agricultural and forestry industries, and has
managed to make its overall emissions seem much lower than
they actually are, the ABC said in the report.
While under the Kyoto Protocol, Australia is allowed
to up carbon emissions by eight per cent compared to the 1990
levels, figures supplied to the UN earlier this year say that
between 1990 and 2007, the nation`s real carbon emissions
actually rose by 82 percent, the report said.
This dramatic increase has mainly been caused by
rising emissions from rural lands, caused by bushfires and
But those are the very same agricultural, grazing
plains and grasslands that major political parties in
Australia hope will help offset the country`s rising
Australia has led the charge on proposed land use rule
changes to the new global climate deal. The changes will open
the door to the bonanza of green carbon that can be stored
away in the world`s rural lands, the report said.
But the move is deeply dividing the Copenhagen
conference. Australia and other big players have been accused
of a trying to pull off a rort.
Christine Milne, climate change spokesperson for
Australian political party, the Australian Greens, said in
Copenhagen that the country has been trying to "cook the
"The United States has always wanted to use Land Use
Land Use Change and Forestry as a mechanism for not having to
do as much in its fossil fuel sector, and Australia has always
been the fall guy for the US," she said.
"So I think what you are seeing is the umbrella group,
chaired by Australia, including the US, including Canada,
trying to really cook the books in some dodgy deals on land
"That is not an error. It is actually called Land Use
Land Use Change and Forestry. Everything in these negotiations
has an acronym -- this one is LULU_CF," she said.
But developing nations fear that with some changes to
the existing rules, LULU_CF may be the way that countries like
Australia will wriggle out of the reductions currently being
negotiated for 2020 greenhouse targets.
A climate scientist for International Rivers network,
Payal Parekh, says such loopholes will water down the carbon
"It essentially means that developed countries,
including Australia, could actually increase their emissions
in the next few years," she said.
"What it means is that it is a total scam. It appears
as if something is done, but it is not. The best way to sum it
up is that it is a `get out of jail free card`," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow