Avalanche warning for Kashmir`s Gurez town
Srinagar: Authorities Monday issued a high danger avalanche warning for Gurez town in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district, where 19 army men were killed in an avalanche last month.
A statement issued here by the divisional disaster management cell Monday evening said: "On the basis of information received from the Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), a high danger avalanche warning has been issued for Gurez and medium danger avalanche warning for Keran, Chowkibal, Tangdhar and Machil areas.
"People living in these snow-bound areas have been advised to take precautionary measures and desist from going in avalanche-prone areas. The warning is valid for the next 24 hours."
Nineteen army men were killed in two avalanches that hit the brigade headquarters of the army in Gurez Feb 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test