Avoid this deadliest mushroom that is spreading fast!
New York: Love mushrooms? Then read this news carefully. An otherwise innocuous variety of mushroom has turned toxic, and spreading fast.
Aptly named `Death Cap`, this variety is now on every continent except Antarctica.
This fungus is spreading rapidly across the globe and it looks and smells a lot like a number of edible species of mushroom.
A little amount of `Death Cap` (Amanita phalloides) can result in death and it can be hard to even diagnose patients properly in time, said a report in the Slate magazine.
The death cap doesn`t taste remotely like death - many people who are poisoned claim the mushroom was the most delicious they`ve ever eaten.
But scientists have now found an antidote to this.
S. Todd Mitchell of Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz in California and colleagues have treated more than 60 patients who ate this mushroom variety and got sick, with a drug derived from milk thistle.
Every patient who still had intact kidney function and was started on the drug within 96 hours of eating mushrooms has lived.
"The drug has virtually no side effects, it`s very well tolerated, and if used correctly, it`s awesomely effective,” said the report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list