Awareness drive to be launched to protect Kerala`s fish
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB) will launch a campaign to protect the fish wealth of the state Tuesday on the occasion of `International Day for Biological Diversity` (IDB).
"There are two dozen endangered fish species in the sea off Kerala and almost a dozen critically endangered species in our 44 rivers. Due to various reasons, the numbers are fast depleting," K.P. Laladhas, member secretary of KSBB told reporters here.
Laladhas added that apart from Tuesday`s function, the KSBB is also organising an awareness campaign in Kerala`s nine coastal districts.
The campaign has been named as `greening the blue` and the National Biodiversity Authority is playing a key role in the awareness campaign.
"Attending tomorrow`s (Tuesday`s) awareness campaigns are students, researchers in this subject, experts from the field of academics besides the fishing community representatives," said Laladhas.
According to experts, the main reason for the fast depletion of Kerala`s fish species is the excessive use of pesticides in farming activities as water from the fields finally reaches the rivers.
Another reason is the fish being caught at the time when they are about to procreate.
The KSBB feels that the time has come for an awareness campaign as the coast occupies about 16.4 percent of the state`s total geographical area and approximately 10 percent of the country`s total coastline -- extending over a length of 590 km.
Data reveals that 30 percent of the state`s population lives in the coastal area, while the fishermen population in the state is about 1.1 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?