Baby olive ridley turtles let into sea
Puducherry: A Puducherry-based NGO`s efforts to protect eggs of the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles have borne fruit with 110 hatchlings being let out into the sea on Friday.
Volunteers of the `Pudhuvai Samadhana Pura` had found 110 eggs of the turtles lying on the seashore in the coastal village of Pudhukuppam some 50 days ago and had preserved them in various pits to enable their safe hatching, Muthu, convener of the NGO, told PTI.
The coastal village is a nesting zone for the olive ridleys, he said.
Some ten eggs are still being preserved for hatching, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why