Baby olive ridley turtles let into sea
Puducherry: A Puducherry-based NGO`s efforts to protect eggs of the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles have borne fruit with 110 hatchlings being let out into the sea on Friday.
Volunteers of the `Pudhuvai Samadhana Pura` had found 110 eggs of the turtles lying on the seashore in the coastal village of Pudhukuppam some 50 days ago and had preserved them in various pits to enable their safe hatching, Muthu, convener of the NGO, told PTI.
The coastal village is a nesting zone for the olive ridleys, he said.
Some ten eggs are still being preserved for hatching, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi