Baby olive ridley turtles let into sea
Puducherry: A Puducherry-based NGO`s efforts to protect eggs of the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles have borne fruit with 110 hatchlings being let out into the sea on Friday.
Volunteers of the `Pudhuvai Samadhana Pura` had found 110 eggs of the turtles lying on the seashore in the coastal village of Pudhukuppam some 50 days ago and had preserved them in various pits to enable their safe hatching, Muthu, convener of the NGO, told PTI.
The coastal village is a nesting zone for the olive ridleys, he said.
Some ten eggs are still being preserved for hatching, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert