Bamboo bicycles launched in Manipur
Imphal: Manipur has launched bicycles made out of bamboo in a bid to introduce green sensibility in the state.
The bicycles were launched at the four-day ‘Cycle for Life’ workshop held in Imphal earlier this week.
The event was organised by the Manipur Cycle Club (MCC) in collaboration with the Manipur Bamboo Mission and the South Asia Bamboo Foundation (SABF).
SABF founder Kamesh Salam said he was inspired to introduce bamboo bicycles to the streets of Manipur following a trip to Ghana in Africa.
“Firstly, I was inspired by the Manipur Cycle Club, who has been insisting that we should make bamboo cycle. Secondly, I was inspired by the success story in Ghana, Zambia and in many other parts of Africa that bamboo cycle really exists. So that prompted me why not in Manipur, where cycle and bamboo are part of our life,” said Salam.
The MCC, a non-governmental organisation, encourages people to adopt the use of bicycles in order to reduce traffic and air pollution.
“It’s a newly launched organisation formed by some volunteers who were interested in environment, eco-friendly (concept) and low traffic congestion. So with that aim, we started organising cycle events, we tried to popularise the cycle in our congested Imphal. We thought that how can we change and produce cheap cycles by using local raw materials? So with this, we stared with this project,” said Aribam Joy Sharma, a member of the MCC.
Bamboo, a perennial grass, is found in every continent except Europe and Antarctica and is abundant in southern Asia.
There are around 255 varieties of bamboo. 57 varieties of Bamboo are found in India, out of which 44 are found in the country’s northeast region alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video