Ban on elephants` performance in circuses
New Delhi: The Animal Welfare Board of India decided to stop registering elephants for performing in circuses in view of the cruelties and abuse subjected to the animals, PETA India officials said Friday.
The decision follows People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India and the Animal Rahat submitting a report exposing the cruelties suffered by the elephants in circuses across India.
"The findings from our extensive investigation reveal that cruelty to animals is inherent in the circus business. It is high time for a ban on the use of all animals in the Indian circuses. Any delay will mean continued abuse of dogs, horses, camels, goats, birds and other animals," said Manilal Valliyate, director of veterinary affairs, PETA India.
The board confirmed the decision in the minutes of its 39th general meeting released Friday.
"The board has also decided to stop the immediate performance of all the injured and aged animals in the circuses as mentioned in the report. These elephants will be seized after making arrangement for their rehabilitation," added Valliyate.
Along with this, the legal notices will also be served to the circuses for using sick, injured and unregistered animals as performing animals.
The PETA India`s findings will also be forwarded to the Central Zoo Authority for further action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015