Bangladesh scientists decode local jute genome
Dhaka: A team of Bangladeshi scientists has successfully decoded the genome sequence of a local variety of jute plant, opening up a new vista in the development of the golden fibre.
Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Sunday made the announcement at a press briefing here amid cheers and desk thumping by officials, reported Xinhua.
Maksudul Alam, a professor of the University of Hawaii, who earlier decoded the genome of papaya in the US and rubber plant in Malaysia, was in the forefront in sequencing the jute genome.
"Decoding of the genome is a great success for Bangladesh," Hasina said congratulating the discoverer of the genome sequence, scientist Alam, and his team members.
With this discovery, she said jute is expected to regain its lost glory of being the golden fibre.
Experts said the discoveries would help improve the fibre length and quality, including colours and strength, and develop high yielding, saline soil- and pest-tolerant jute varieties through genetic engineering.
The group of Bangladeshi scientists has recently also found the genetic history of a fungus which causes at least 30 percent loss in Tossa (Corchorus olitorius) variety of jute.
In 2010, Bangladeshi scientists had succeeded in unveiling the genome sequencing of Tossa jute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!