BASIC bloc to declare voluntary mitigation actions by Jan 31
New Delhi: BASIC nations -- India, Brazil,
South Afrcia and China – on Sunday said they would stick to the
January 31 deadline and communicate information on voluntary
mitigation actions to the UN climate change panel.
The announcement was made after a seven-hour meeting of
the Environment ministers from the four countries, popular as
the BASIC bloc, here this evening.
"The Ministers expressed their intention to communicate
information on their voluntary mitigation actions to the UN
Framework Convention on Climate Change by January 31, 2010," a
joint statement issued after the meeting said.
The ministers also asserted that the Copenhagen Accord
will not become a legal document and its conclusions would be
incorporated in the two-track negotiation process on climate
The four ministers stressed on the importance of working
closely with the Group of 77 countries to ensure an ambitious
and equitable outcome in the next meet on climate change in
Mexico through a transparent process.
The BASIC nations demanded the Denmark, the president of
the Conference of Parties (CoP), convene immediately the
meetings of the two negotiation groups in March and ensure
that they meet on at least five more occasions.
These meetings are essential to make progress towards and
agreed outcome at the 16th meeting of the CoP in Mexico in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH