Bees can distinguish between Monet and Picasso paintings
Melbourne: Discerning art critics, honeybees can distinguish between different landscape scenes, types of flowers and even human faces, a new study has claimed.
Scientists led by University of Queensland`s Brain Institute (QBI) found that honeybees have remarkable visual learning and discrimination abilities that extended beyond simple colours, shapes or patterns.
QBI researcher Dr Judith Reinhard said honeybees had a highly developed capacity for processing complex visual information, and could distinguish landscape scenes, types of flowers, and even human faces.
"This suggests that in spite of their small brain, honeybees have a highly developed capacity for processing complex visual information, comparable in many respects to vertebrates," she said.
Reinhard and her team investigated whether this capacity extended to complex images that humans distinguish on the basis of artistic style, including Impressionist paintings by Monet and Cubist paintings by Picasso.
"We were able to show that honeybees learned to simultaneously discriminate between five different Monet and Picasso paintings and that they did not rely on luminance, colour, or spatial frequency information," she said.
When presented with novel paintings of the same style, the bees demonstrated an ability to generalise, suggesting they could differentiate Monet from Picasso by extracting and learning the characteristic visual information inherent in each style, researchers said.
"Our study suggests that discrimination of artistic styles is not a higher cognitive function that is unique to humans, but simply due to the capacity of animals, from insects to humans, to extract and categorise the visual characteristics of complex images," Reinhard said in a statement.
The study was published in the Journal of Comparative Physiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate