Bees `self-medicate` when infected
Washington: Honey bees "self-medicate" when their colony is infected with a harmful fungus, with the help of antifungal plant resins to ward off the invader, a study reveals.
"The colony is willing to expend the energy and effort of its worker bees to collect these resins," said Michael Simone-Finstrom, postdoctoral researcher in entomology at North Carolina State University, who co-authored the study with Marla Spivak of the University of Minnesota.
"So, clearly this behaviour has evolved because the benefit to the colony exceeds the cost," added Simone-Finstrom, the journal Public Library of Science ONE reported.
When faced with pathogenic fungi, wild bees line their hives with more propolis - the waxy, yellow substance, a mix of plant resins and wax with antifungal and antibacterial properties, said a university statement.
Domesticated honey bees also use propolis to fill in cracks in their hives. However, researchers found that, when faced with a fungal threat, bees bring in significantly more propolis - 45 percent more, on an average.
The bees also physically removed infected larvae that had been parasitized by the fungus and were being used to create fungal spores.
Researchers know propolis is an effective antifungal agent because they lined some hives with a propolis extract and found that the extract significantly reduced the rate of infection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why