Beijing chokes on lingering smog
Beijing: The air quality in Beijing Wednesday took a turn for the worse again, as smog blanketed the city.
At 9 a.m., air quality indices in most monitoring stations in the city exceeded 300, or Level VI, a serious level, according to statistics from the Beijing Municipal Environmental Monitoring Center, reported Xinhua.
A high concentration of fine particle pollutants was spotted moving from southeast Beijing from 3 p.m. Tuesday before shrouding the entire city, said an official with the center.
The PM2.5 data, a gauge monitoring airborne particles of 2.5 microns or less in diameter which can embed deep in people`s lungs, reached 200 to 300 micrograms per cubic meter, indicating heavy pollution, he said.
The weather forecasting bureau has issued yellow alerts for both fog and smog, the third highest level.
Visibility in south Beijing will fall below 500 meters Wednesday, and most of the city will see visibility drop to less than 3,000 meters.
According to the weather forecast, strong winds with speeds of 20 to 30 km per hour will sweep the city Wednesday evening and are expected to disperse the smog.
Beijing residents suffered from heavy smog from Jan 10 to 16, before the putrid air was dispersed by a cold front bringing strong winds. Air quality indices were off the charts during the seven days, exceeding the "maximum" level of 500 in the city, as well as many other cities in central and north China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says