Beijing ninth worst polluted city in China
Beijing: Beijing, which reeled under thick "hazardously" polluted smog for weeks, has been ranked as the ninth among the 10 most polluted Chinese cities, authorities said on Thursday.
The Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection`s list also includes Xingtai, Shijiazhuang, Baoding, Handan, Lanfang, Hengshui, Jinan, Tangshan and Zhengzhou.
Seven of the cities listed were from Hebei province, neighbouring Beijing, a major centre for China`s steel industry - with Xingtai listed as the most polluted, according to Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.
The 10 were pulled from an analysis of 74 mainland cities using the "newest air quality, monitoring and evaluation standards," the Post quoted MEP vice-minister Wu Xiaoqing as saying a at a meeting.
Only in Haikou, Fuzhou, Zhoushan, Xiamen, Huizhou, Zhaoqing, Shenzehn, Kunming, Lhasa (Tibet) and Zhuhai were the cities where the air quality recorded better than the previous month.
According to World Bank, China is home to at least 16 of the world`s most polluted cities. Air pollution in Beijing city hit record levels last month.
The average level of PM2.5 particles 2.5 microns or less in diameter - hovered near 200 for nearly the whole month.
The World Health Organisation`s recommended level is 35.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India