Beijing ninth worst polluted city in China
Beijing: Beijing, which reeled under thick "hazardously" polluted smog for weeks, has been ranked as the ninth among the 10 most polluted Chinese cities, authorities said on Thursday.
The Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection`s list also includes Xingtai, Shijiazhuang, Baoding, Handan, Lanfang, Hengshui, Jinan, Tangshan and Zhengzhou.
Seven of the cities listed were from Hebei province, neighbouring Beijing, a major centre for China`s steel industry - with Xingtai listed as the most polluted, according to Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.
The 10 were pulled from an analysis of 74 mainland cities using the "newest air quality, monitoring and evaluation standards," the Post quoted MEP vice-minister Wu Xiaoqing as saying a at a meeting.
Only in Haikou, Fuzhou, Zhoushan, Xiamen, Huizhou, Zhaoqing, Shenzehn, Kunming, Lhasa (Tibet) and Zhuhai were the cities where the air quality recorded better than the previous month.
According to World Bank, China is home to at least 16 of the world`s most polluted cities. Air pollution in Beijing city hit record levels last month.
The average level of PM2.5 particles 2.5 microns or less in diameter - hovered near 200 for nearly the whole month.
The World Health Organisation`s recommended level is 35.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai