Beijing to spend USD 16.09 bn to combat pollution
Beijing: Grappling with heavy pollution, Beijing would spend USD 16.09 billion in the next three years on a host of measures to combat recurrence of heavy smog taking toll on the health of the city`s over 20 million population.
The Beijing municipal government has put the environment at the top of its work agenda this year, launching a campaign to tackle pollution, especially in the suburbs, official media here said.
According to the new plan, the government will make efforts to improve sewage disposal, garbage treatment and air quality, as well as curb illegal construction.
The three-year plan will facilitate building five garbage incineration plants by the end of 2015 to ensure more than 70 per cent of the city`s waste can be destroyed by burning.
The city already has two incineration plants. It can incinerate 16,900 metric tonnes a day, and the number will increase to 24,000 tonnes.
The sewage treatment, garbage incineration and forestry development will cost 100 billion yuan (USD16.09 billion), state-run China Daily quoted Mayor Wang Anshun as saying.
The city will continue to control vehicle emissions using the policy that restricts private cars from being driven one day a week, based on the final digit of the car license plate, he said.
The city already imposed restrictions on buying new cars.
City government may consider launching the policy in particular areas and periods to control the number of cars on road, the daily reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda