Biodiversity project launched in Himachal
Shimla: A national project to access genetic resources, their economic values and share their benefits was launched in Himachal Pradesh Tuesday.
The Rs.46-crore United Nations Environment Programme-Global Environment Facility (UNEP-GEF) project on strengthening the implementation of the biological diversity act and rules with focus on its access and benefit sharing provisions would be taken up jointly with the union ministry of environment and forests, said an official spokesperson.
The hill state is among the five chosen by the government to implement the project on a pilot basis. The other states are Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal and Sikkim.
An official statement quoting state Chief Secretary S
udripta Roy said the project would help increase public awareness and educate people and build capacity of stake-holders of the biodiversity at the grassroots level.
Balakrishna Pisupati, chairman of the National Biodiversity Authority in Chennai, was also present during the launch.
The lush green valleys and snow-capped mountains of Himachal Pradesh are home to 36 percent of the country`s species of birds.
Of the 1,228 species that have been reported in India, 447 are found in this state alone.
Aptly called the storehouse of biodiversity, the state also supports 3,120 species of flowering plants, including 187 species of medicinal plants.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged