BJP demands Centre`s intervention to stop rhino poaching
Guwahati: BJP president Rajnath Singh today demanded that the Centre intervene to stop the continuing rhino poaching in Kaziranga National Park in Assam where 31 of the animals have been killed so far this year.
Singh said that as the state government has "failed" to control the rampant poaching in the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Centre should immediately intervene to halt the menace.
"If the state government does not act, the Centre must intervene immediately," Singh told reporters here.
"Assam is known worldwide for the one-horned rhino and its tea. The rhinos are being poached in Kaziranga and the state government is a mute spectator to it," he said.
Singh demanded that the state government investigate to find out those involved in the poaching rackets, punish them under stringent laws so that no one dares to indulge in illegal animal hunting and killing in the future.
Rhino horns are highly valued in the international black market fetching lakhs of rupees for their so-called medicinal values and for being a status symbol for a section of people in south east Asian countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal