Blind, legless lizard found in Cambodia
Phnom Penh: A Cambodian scientist has discovered a new species of blind and legless lizard that looks like a snake.
The small reptile, which mostly lives underground, was given the name dibamus dalaiensis, after the Dalai mountain in southwestern Cambodia where it was found, according to conservation group Fauna and Flora International (FFI).
"At first I thought it was a blind snake," said Neang Thy, who works as a zoologist with the Ministry of Environment and FFI and made the discovery.
"But when we looked at it closely we found it was different from other species," he said.
Other types of blind, legless lizards have already been documented across Asia, but none had ever been found in Cambodia and it took more than a year of research to confirm Neang Thy had indeed stumbled upon a new species.
The female lizard has no limbs at all, whereas the male "has very short legs that he does not use," Neang Thy said.
The find marks the first time a Cambodian researcher has formally identified a new reptile, FFI said in a press release earlier this week.
"For one of our national colleagues to discover this unusual species and make the description is particularly satisfying," said Berry Mulligan, FFI`s Cambodia operations manager.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India