Brazil`s Antarctic station to come alive again
Sao Paulo: Brazil`s scientific station in Antarctica will arise from its ashes in the coming months with the rebuilding of the centre for climate-change research which was destroyed by fire last year.
The cost of constructing the new complex is estimated at between 70 million and 100 million reais, (around $35 million to $45 million), Emerson Vidigal, one of the architects of the Estudio 41 company contracted to design the project, has said.
With facilities covering more than 4,500 sq. metres (48,000 sq. feet), 17 laboratories and enough living space to lodge 64 people, the new Comandante Ferraz Antarctic Station on King George Island will start construction during the 2013-2014 Southern Hemisphere summer.
"The station`s design has been completed, and next October an international bidding will be held to choose the company to do the construction," Vidigal said.
Surrounded by a naturally hostile climate, the new base will have a laboratory complex "must better equipped and more modern" than the previous one, to facilitate researchers` work on the white continent.
"Scientific research in the region is undeniably important for understanding how the Earth works.
"It is essential for revealing the complex interactions among the natural processes of the globe and of Antarctica," Brazilian Navy Captain Geraldo Juacaba said.
"One priority has been the adoption of technologies aimed at minimising environmental impact, because of the environmental concerns that involve the whole continent," the captain said.
Antarctica has the lowest temperatures on the planet, winds of up to 300 km (180 miles) per hour, and 14 million sq. km (5 million sq. miles), of which 90 percent is covered by an ice cap 2,500 metres thick.
A fire in 2012, in which two soldiers died, destroyed more than two-thirds of the old base, including the main building, where the residential area was located.
The fire consumed part of the labs and with them all the material from the studies taken during the previous Southern Hemisphere summer, which should have been used as the basis for research work throughout the year.
The inauguration of the new base is expected to be delayed until 2015, because, according to Vidigal, it is only possible to work in the area during summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow