Brazil`s Lula signs law cutting CO2 emissions
Brasilia: Brazil President Luiz Inacio
Lula da Silva on Wednesday signed a law requiring that Brazil cut
greenhouse gas emissions by 39 per cent by 2020, meeting a
commitment made at the Copenhagen climate change summit.
Brazil announced at the summit a "voluntary
commitment" to reduce CO2 emissions by between 36.1 and 38.9
per cent in the next ten years.
The new law, however, is subject to several decrees
setting out responsibilities and regulations for the farming,
industrial, energy and environmental sectors.
Lula is expected to sign the decrees in January after
consulting scientists and other experts, officials said.
Despite its ambitious targets, Greenpeace`s top
representative in Brazil, Sergio Leitao, called it merely a
list of good intentions and accused Lula of using double
standards in environmental issues.
"Brazil usually makes good speeches on the
international stage, as in Copenhagen, but in practice it
doesn`t keep its word," he told reporters.
Before signing the new law, in fact, Lula vetoed three
of its provisions, including a reference to "promoting the
development of clean energy sources and the gradual phasing
out of energy from fossil fuels."
Environment Minister Carlos Minc said he was was
pleased with the new law because it showed Brazil`s
determination to respect the pledges it made in Copenhagen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested