Bronze Age dig most vital finding in last 100 yrs
London: An early Bronze Age burial chest containing cremated bones and material dating back 4,000 years has been excavated on Dartmoor, and the collection could be one of the most important archaeological discoveries in the last 100 years, experts have said.
Dartmoor National Park Authority (DNPA) said that the stone-built chest or “cist”, which was used for the burial of ashes, was discovered at Whitehorse Hill in Devon, one of Dartmoor’s highest peaks.
Cremated human bones, human remains and other items were found including leather, a woven basket or bag and amber beads preserved in peat.
“This is a most unusual and fascinating glimpse into what an early Bronze Age grave goods assemblage on Dartmoor might have looked like when it was buried, including the personal possessions of people living on the moor around 4,000 years ago,” the Daily Mail quoted Jane Marchand, senior archaeologist for DNPA as saying.
Cists are common in the south-west of England and elsewhere, with 200 known on Dartmoor alone, but they are rarely found with their original contents.
Experts said the one discovered on Whitehorse Hill may have been better preserved because it is the only known example set within a peat mound.
The cist was first discovered more than ten years ago when what appeared to be its end stone fell out of the peat mound, which had been concealing it, and since that time, the peat has slowly eroded away from the sides and the top.
After several attempts to protect the cist, a scheduled monument, the decision was taken by DNPA and English Heritage to excavate it in order to recover any surviving archaeological and environmental information before it is destroyed.
The excavation, which took place in August, was the first excavation of a Dartmoor cist for nearly 100 years and involved experts from Cornwall Council``s historic environment projects team, with assistance from English Heritage and specialists from the University of Plymouth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!