Bugs generate power while cleaning nuclear waste
Washington: Researchers have figured out how a class of bugs can deliver double benefit -- generate power while cleaning up nuclear waste and other toxic metals.
"Geobacter bacteria are tiny micro-organisms that can play a major role in cleaning up (nuclear fuel) polluted sites around the world," said Michigan State University microbiologist Gemma Reguera, who led the study.
Their effectiveness was proven during a cleanup in a uranium mill tailings site in Colorado. Researchers injected acetate into contaminated groundwater, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
Since this is geobacters` preferred food, it stimulated the growth of the bug`s community already in the soil, which in turn, worked to remove the uranium, Reguera said, according to a Michigan statement.
Nanowires, hair-like appendages found on the outside of geobacters, are the managers of electrical activity during such a cleanup.
"Our findings clearly identify nanowires as being the primary catalyst for uranium reduction," Reguera said.
"They are essentially...immobilising the radioactive material and preventing it from leaching into groundwater," the microbiologist added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why