Bugs generate power while cleaning nuclear waste
Washington: Researchers have figured out how a class of bugs can deliver double benefit -- generate power while cleaning up nuclear waste and other toxic metals.
"Geobacter bacteria are tiny micro-organisms that can play a major role in cleaning up (nuclear fuel) polluted sites around the world," said Michigan State University microbiologist Gemma Reguera, who led the study.
Their effectiveness was proven during a cleanup in a uranium mill tailings site in Colorado. Researchers injected acetate into contaminated groundwater, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
Since this is geobacters` preferred food, it stimulated the growth of the bug`s community already in the soil, which in turn, worked to remove the uranium, Reguera said, according to a Michigan statement.
Nanowires, hair-like appendages found on the outside of geobacters, are the managers of electrical activity during such a cleanup.
"Our findings clearly identify nanowires as being the primary catalyst for uranium reduction," Reguera said.
"They are essentially...immobilising the radioactive material and preventing it from leaching into groundwater," the microbiologist added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming