Cabinet to consider 2013 as Water Conservation Year
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of per capita availability of water falling at a fast pace, the Union Cabinet is likely to consider a proposal to declare 2013 as Water Conservation Year under which awareness programmes will be launched for conservation of the scarce natural resource.
Under the proposal, the Water Resources Ministry will launch a series of programmes among masses, especially children, on water conservation.
While India has more than 18 per cent of the world`s population, it has only 4 per cent of the world`s renewable water resources.
With growing population and rising needs, per capita availability of water is likely to go down from 1545 cubic meter per annum in 2011 to 1341 cubic meter per annum in 2025.
The Cabinet is also likely to consider another proposal of the Law Ministry to carry out a minor amendment to the Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification Act), 1959.
Under the Act, the office of the chairperson of the erstwhile National Commission of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes does not come under the office of profit.
In the 89th Amendment of the Constitution, it was decided to have a separate National Commission for Scheduled Castes and separate National Commission for Scheduled Tribes.
The erstwhile National Commission for SCs and STs was bifurcated into two different Commissions in December, 2004.
The bifurcation was not reflected in the Prevention of Disqualification Act.
Under the proposed amendment, the offices of chairpersons of the two Commissions will be defined separately with retrospective effect to bring clarity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17