Campaign launched to preserve famous Mirik Lake
Darjeeling: An environment group in Mirik in Darjeeling hills has launched a campaign to demand the tourist town`s famous Mirik Lake that has shrunk in size, be included in a central government project for conservation of water sources.
"The wetland (Mirik Lake) is nature`s gift to us. However, we are running the risk of losing it because of increased human intervention. The total area of the wetland has already been reduced to less than 100 hectares from its original spread of 125 hectares because of pollution caused by effluents and reclamation by landfill," said Gyalbo Lama, a member of the environment group, Bio-diversity Management Committee.
The committee has already embarked on a 20-day signature campaign, seeking support of both local people and visitors in its effort to protect and preserve the wetland that has shrunk in size, Lama said.
"Our appeal to all concerned is to immediately put an end to the exploitation and encroachment of the wetland," Lama said.
According to him, the best way to preserve the wetland was by including it in the conservation and management programme launched in 2010 under which the Centre provides financial and technical assistance for various conservation activities in the listed wastelands.
"Once our signature campaign gets over at the end of this month, we will approach the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA), state government and the Union government with our demand," he said.
Reclamation of land and dumping of solid waste in and around a wetland are prohibited after a water body is brought under the central scheme, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert