Can you enact law in conflict with central law: NGT asks MP
New Delhi: "Can you enact a law which would be in conflict with central law?"
This was National Green Tribunal`s (NGT) poser to Madhya Pradesh government which said its minor mineral rules permit district environmental committees to grant clearance for sand mining on land that measures five hectares or less.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar today observed that according to central law, it is the power of the State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA) to grant clearance for sand mining on land smaller lands and in rest of the cases the go ahead is given by the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
"But you have taken the power (of SEIAA) and given it to the district environmental committees. How can you do that? Can you enact a law which would be in conflict with central law," the bench asked.
The tribunal was hearing the state government`s plea for modification of the bench`s August 5 order by which it had banned sand mining in rivers across the country.
The state has contended that the Supreme Court while directing that environment clearance is required even for sand mining on land measuring five hectares or less, had also said the procedure of granting clearance be simplified and in this regard they had modified their Minor Mineral Rules to grant power to district environmental committees to approve removal of sand from smaller plots.
The state government`s counsel was, however, unable to answer the bench`s query- whether it can enact a law which is in conflict with central law- and sought time to take instructions.
Meanwhile, the state`s plea for modification of the NGT`s August 5 order was opposed by senior advocate Raj Panjwani, appearing for petitioner NGT Bar Association.
In view of the objections of the petitioner and time sought for instructions by the counsel for Madhya Pradesh, the bench listed the matter on September 24 for hearing arguments on whether state can enact a law in conflict with central law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video