Car tyres may purify wastewater in future
London: Rubber granulate made from end-of-life car tyres may in future lend itself to applications such as wastewater treatment, say researchers.
A Finnish team has demonstrated that the granulate processed from used car tyres is capable of acting as biofilter material in sewage treatment.
The project, carried out by Finnish Tyre Recycling Ltd and Apila Group Oy at Heinola sewage works, showed that tyre rubber granulate is capable of effectively removing nitrogen and phosphorus from wastewater.
The granulate offers a large surface area for the biofilm to grow on and significantly retains, in particular, phosphorus, thanks to the iron contained in the granulate.
“No leaching of harmful substances from the tyre granulate to the soil or water was detected, but the use of granulate for sewage treatment requires an environmental permit,” explained Risto Tuominen, managing director of Finnish Tyre Recycling.
“We have also decided to test tyre granulate in the treatment of industrial wastewater. Other interesting applications include the treatment of run-off water from agriculture, peat production and forestry,” added Tuominen.
There is a lot of potential in tyre rubber granulate as soon as the hesitation to use it dissipates, said specialist Sanni Pisto from Apila Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE