Care for a `coconut-flavoured` pineapple?
London: Scientists in Australia have developed a new "pina colada" pineapple that tastes like a coconut.
The scientists, from a government agency in Queensland, spent ten years trying to create a new variety of sweeter, juicier pineapple but did not actually intend to create the coconut flavour, the Telegraph reported.
"It`s sweet, low acid, very juicy," Garth Sanewski, a senior horticulturalist at Queensland`s department of agriculture, told ABC News.
"It has this lovely coconut flavour, which you won`t find in any other pineapple in Australia," he said.
The new pineapple, called AusFestival - dubbed the "pina colada pineapple" - will potentially preclude people from having to mix fruits in the famous cocktail.
It is likely to be commercially available in two years.
"When we are doing the breeding, we are not actually looking for a coconut-flavoured pineapple or any other particular flavour," Sanewski said.
"We are looking for a nice flavoured pineapple. We are looking for a variety that is sweet, low acid and aromatic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!