Care for a `coconut-flavoured` pineapple?
London: Scientists in Australia have developed a new "pina colada" pineapple that tastes like a coconut.
The scientists, from a government agency in Queensland, spent ten years trying to create a new variety of sweeter, juicier pineapple but did not actually intend to create the coconut flavour, the Telegraph reported.
"It`s sweet, low acid, very juicy," Garth Sanewski, a senior horticulturalist at Queensland`s department of agriculture, told ABC News.
"It has this lovely coconut flavour, which you won`t find in any other pineapple in Australia," he said.
The new pineapple, called AusFestival - dubbed the "pina colada pineapple" - will potentially preclude people from having to mix fruits in the famous cocktail.
It is likely to be commercially available in two years.
"When we are doing the breeding, we are not actually looking for a coconut-flavoured pineapple or any other particular flavour," Sanewski said.
"We are looking for a nice flavoured pineapple. We are looking for a variety that is sweet, low acid and aromatic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog