Care for a `coconut-flavoured` pineapple?
London: Scientists in Australia have developed a new "pina colada" pineapple that tastes like a coconut.
The scientists, from a government agency in Queensland, spent ten years trying to create a new variety of sweeter, juicier pineapple but did not actually intend to create the coconut flavour, the Telegraph reported.
"It`s sweet, low acid, very juicy," Garth Sanewski, a senior horticulturalist at Queensland`s department of agriculture, told ABC News.
"It has this lovely coconut flavour, which you won`t find in any other pineapple in Australia," he said.
The new pineapple, called AusFestival - dubbed the "pina colada pineapple" - will potentially preclude people from having to mix fruits in the famous cocktail.
It is likely to be commercially available in two years.
"When we are doing the breeding, we are not actually looking for a coconut-flavoured pineapple or any other particular flavour," Sanewski said.
"We are looking for a nice flavoured pineapple. We are looking for a variety that is sweet, low acid and aromatic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Bada Kabristan
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened