Care for a `coconut-flavoured` pineapple?
London: Scientists in Australia have developed a new "pina colada" pineapple that tastes like a coconut.
The scientists, from a government agency in Queensland, spent ten years trying to create a new variety of sweeter, juicier pineapple but did not actually intend to create the coconut flavour, the Telegraph reported.
"It`s sweet, low acid, very juicy," Garth Sanewski, a senior horticulturalist at Queensland`s department of agriculture, told ABC News.
"It has this lovely coconut flavour, which you won`t find in any other pineapple in Australia," he said.
The new pineapple, called AusFestival - dubbed the "pina colada pineapple" - will potentially preclude people from having to mix fruits in the famous cocktail.
It is likely to be commercially available in two years.
"When we are doing the breeding, we are not actually looking for a coconut-flavoured pineapple or any other particular flavour," Sanewski said.
"We are looking for a nice flavoured pineapple. We are looking for a variety that is sweet, low acid and aromatic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- 40 dead as Turkish shelling, raids hit Syrian civilians
- ACB questions former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit in water tanker scam
- CAB planning Jagmohan Dalmiya Memorial Lecture during home season
- Dhyan Chand should have got Bharat Ratna ahead of Sachin Tendulkar, says former greats
- Kevin Magnussen taken to hospital for checks after crash at Belgian Grand Prix