Care for a `coconut-flavoured` pineapple?
London: Scientists in Australia have developed a new "pina colada" pineapple that tastes like a coconut.
The scientists, from a government agency in Queensland, spent ten years trying to create a new variety of sweeter, juicier pineapple but did not actually intend to create the coconut flavour, the Telegraph reported.
"It`s sweet, low acid, very juicy," Garth Sanewski, a senior horticulturalist at Queensland`s department of agriculture, told ABC News.
"It has this lovely coconut flavour, which you won`t find in any other pineapple in Australia," he said.
The new pineapple, called AusFestival - dubbed the "pina colada pineapple" - will potentially preclude people from having to mix fruits in the famous cocktail.
It is likely to be commercially available in two years.
"When we are doing the breeding, we are not actually looking for a coconut-flavoured pineapple or any other particular flavour," Sanewski said.
"We are looking for a nice flavoured pineapple. We are looking for a variety that is sweet, low acid and aromatic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise