Census reports over 210 elephants in Buxa Tiger reserve
Kolkata: The elephant population in the Buxa Tiger reserve has shot up by 50 per cent in three years, as over 210 jumbos were sighted in the sanctuary during a census which ended there today.
Direct counting method was used on the first day of the elephant census, that began nearly ten days back. As many as 104 teams, comprising 1000 forest and other personnel, took part in the process, BTR Field Director R P Saini told PTI.
The final picture would emerge once data from the two other methods - collection of elephant dung and observation from about 80 watch towers in the reserve - are compiled for a detailed analysis, he said, adding the exact number of elephants will be known after three weeks, he said. 140 pachyderms were found in the last elephant census in the reserve in 2007.
Apart from BTR, the census will also be undertaken in Gorumara National Park, Chapramary, Mahananda and Jaldapara sanctuaries among other areas.
In the last census, elephants in these areas in the northern part of the state were estimated to be around 350.
Chief Conservator of Forest Dr S Patel said the exact count of jumbos in north Bengal was expected by next month.
Patel said 27 elephants had died in train accidents in the last four-and-a-half years since the Siliguri-Alipurduar railway line was converted to broadgauge and all, except one, were killed at night by speeding trains, he said.
Seven elephants were killed by a speeding goods train on September 23 following which Union Minister for Forest and Environment Jairam Ramesh visited the area.
It was decided that 10 watchtowers will be set-up along the railway track to caution speeding night trains.
Construction of these towers will begin once the Centre approves the proposal, Patel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door