Centre bans setting up of dolphinariums
New Delhi: The Centre has nipped in the bud plans of three states to set up dolphinariums to attract tourists.
"... The Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India have decided not to allow establishment of dolpinarium in the country," Member Secretary, Central Zoo Authority, B S Bonal said in a circular to all states and Union Territories.
Two dolphinariums were planned to come up in Kochi, while one each in Sindhudurg (Maharashtra) and Surat (Gujarat).
The Gangetic Dolphin and Snubfin Dolphin are protected species as per the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
The government has also declared Gangetic Dolphin as the national aquatic animal.
The government circular said dolphins belong to the highly intelligent and sensitive cetaceans species.
"... Various scientists who have researched dolphin behaviour have suggested that the unusually high intelligence; as compared to other animals means that dolphin should be seen as `non-human persons` and as such should have their own specific rights and is morally unacceptable to keep them captive for entertainment purpose," the circular said.
Cetaceans in general do not survive well in captivity, it said, adding that confinement can seriously compromise the welfare and survival of all types of cetaceans by altering their behaviour and causing extreme distress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Four people killed in Darjeeling building collapse
- Congress sounds UP poll bugle; Sonia, Rahul flag off three-day bus Yatra '27 Saal UP Behaal'
- Sunny Leone in trouble after singing national anthem at Pro Kabaddi League match - Here's why
- Another ISIS suspect arrested from Maharashtra's Thane district
- Oops! Shah Rukh Khan, Rohit Shetty friends no more?