Centre planned to study melting of Himalayan glaciers
Shimla: A glaciology centre, the first of
its kind in the country, will be set up in one of the
Himalayan states to study melting of glaciers, amid findings
that about 21 percent of the snow cap had receded in the
ranges in the last four decades.
The proposed centre would come up in any of the
Himalayan states of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir,
Uttrakhand, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim, said Akhilesh Gupta,
Advisor, Union Science and Technology Department.
Glaciology is the scientific study of the internal
mechanism of glaciers and their effects on eco-systems.
Studies had come out with shocking findings that
Himalayan glaciers had melted by about 21 percent during the
period from 1966 to 2004 under the impact of global warming,
Gupta, also coordinator of National Mission on Sustaining
Himalayan Eco-systems, said.
Himalayan glaciers are the main source of water for
major rivers in north India.
On developed countries asking India to cut down its
carbon emission, Gupta said the country`s carbon emission rate
was already low.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25