Centre preparing web-based database to aid tiger conservation
New Delhi: As part of efforts to counter threats to tiger population, Centre is preparing the first web-based database on the endangered species to facilitate information exchange among governments and agencies on illegal wildlife trade and the conservation plan in the country.
Modelled after the EU TWIX, presently being used by over 431 wildlife law enforcement officials across 31 European countries and 93 enforcement agencies, including Interpol, `Tigernet` will be an exclusive tool to share information among the states on various aspect of tiger population ranging from illegal trade to their breeding.
"We cannot sit idle given the dwindling population of the royal tigers in the country. The comprehensive database on tiger and related wildlife trade and crime is being prepared by World Wild Fund (WWF) on behalf of the NTCA to support effective conservation enforcement," Samir Sinha, head of Traffic India, a well-known wildlife monitoring network associated with WWF said.
The database also aims at capacity building as well development of training materials on tiger conservation and intelligence development for various agencies keeping in mind the poaching threat faced by the 1,400 tigers left in various reserves in the country.
EU-TWIX is a short form for EU-Trade in Wildlife Information exchange which was established by the Belgian police, Customs and Cites, and Traffic Europe in 2005 and has been found extremely useful in keeping tab on wildlife crime.
"The Chief wildlife wardens and wildlife officials besides environment ministry officials can access the database on the tiger status in the reserves in any part of the state in the country," the wildlife expert said, adding though public is restricted from availing the facility they can suggest and give inputs.
It is likely to be launched by the end of this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India