Centre preparing web-based database to aid tiger conservation
New Delhi: As part of efforts to counter threats to tiger population, Centre is preparing the first web-based database on the endangered species to facilitate information exchange among governments and agencies on illegal wildlife trade and the conservation plan in the country.
Modelled after the EU TWIX, presently being used by over 431 wildlife law enforcement officials across 31 European countries and 93 enforcement agencies, including Interpol, `Tigernet` will be an exclusive tool to share information among the states on various aspect of tiger population ranging from illegal trade to their breeding.
"We cannot sit idle given the dwindling population of the royal tigers in the country. The comprehensive database on tiger and related wildlife trade and crime is being prepared by World Wild Fund (WWF) on behalf of the NTCA to support effective conservation enforcement," Samir Sinha, head of Traffic India, a well-known wildlife monitoring network associated with WWF said.
The database also aims at capacity building as well development of training materials on tiger conservation and intelligence development for various agencies keeping in mind the poaching threat faced by the 1,400 tigers left in various reserves in the country.
EU-TWIX is a short form for EU-Trade in Wildlife Information exchange which was established by the Belgian police, Customs and Cites, and Traffic Europe in 2005 and has been found extremely useful in keeping tab on wildlife crime.
"The Chief wildlife wardens and wildlife officials besides environment ministry officials can access the database on the tiger status in the reserves in any part of the state in the country," the wildlife expert said, adding though public is restricted from availing the facility they can suggest and give inputs.
It is likely to be launched by the end of this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs