`Centre responsible for deplorable condition of Ganga`
Varanasi: Slamming the Centre for its alleged lackadaisical approach towards cleaning Ganga river, BJP leader Uma Bharti said the National Ganga River Basin Authority is not functioning properly and is a "mere wastage of money."
"The central government is responsible for the deplorable condition of Ganga. The Prime Minister constituted Ganga River Basin Authority, but it is merely a waste of money," she told reporters after she visited environmentalist Swami Gyan Swarup Sanand in a hospital here yesterday.
Sanand, who has been fasting to press for his demand of conservation of Ganga river, was forcefully admitted to hospital on Friday by police after his medical report showed his deteriorating health.
Uma said all communities should join hands to save the river. "There is a need to generate support for Ganga. Unless we unite, the condition of the river will not improve," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez