`Centre responsible for deplorable condition of Ganga`
Varanasi: Slamming the Centre for its alleged lackadaisical approach towards cleaning Ganga river, BJP leader Uma Bharti said the National Ganga River Basin Authority is not functioning properly and is a "mere wastage of money."
"The central government is responsible for the deplorable condition of Ganga. The Prime Minister constituted Ganga River Basin Authority, but it is merely a waste of money," she told reporters after she visited environmentalist Swami Gyan Swarup Sanand in a hospital here yesterday.
Sanand, who has been fasting to press for his demand of conservation of Ganga river, was forcefully admitted to hospital on Friday by police after his medical report showed his deteriorating health.
Uma said all communities should join hands to save the river. "There is a need to generate support for Ganga. Unless we unite, the condition of the river will not improve," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what