`Centre responsible for deplorable condition of Ganga`
Varanasi: Slamming the Centre for its alleged lackadaisical approach towards cleaning Ganga river, BJP leader Uma Bharti said the National Ganga River Basin Authority is not functioning properly and is a "mere wastage of money."
"The central government is responsible for the deplorable condition of Ganga. The Prime Minister constituted Ganga River Basin Authority, but it is merely a waste of money," she told reporters after she visited environmentalist Swami Gyan Swarup Sanand in a hospital here yesterday.
Sanand, who has been fasting to press for his demand of conservation of Ganga river, was forcefully admitted to hospital on Friday by police after his medical report showed his deteriorating health.
Uma said all communities should join hands to save the river. "There is a need to generate support for Ganga. Unless we unite, the condition of the river will not improve," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed