`Centre responsible for deplorable condition of Ganga`
Varanasi: Slamming the Centre for its alleged lackadaisical approach towards cleaning Ganga river, BJP leader Uma Bharti said the National Ganga River Basin Authority is not functioning properly and is a "mere wastage of money."
"The central government is responsible for the deplorable condition of Ganga. The Prime Minister constituted Ganga River Basin Authority, but it is merely a waste of money," she told reporters after she visited environmentalist Swami Gyan Swarup Sanand in a hospital here yesterday.
Sanand, who has been fasting to press for his demand of conservation of Ganga river, was forcefully admitted to hospital on Friday by police after his medical report showed his deteriorating health.
Uma said all communities should join hands to save the river. "There is a need to generate support for Ganga. Unless we unite, the condition of the river will not improve," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video