Chechnya claims world`s largest dinosaur eggs
Moscow: A university in Russia`s Chechnya claimed today to have found an unprecedented stash of giant fossilised dinosaur eggs in a remote mountainous area of the North Caucasus region.
The Chechen state university uploaded photos of the egg-shaped protrusions on a rock face discovered in the region`s south on its website, calling them a "sensational find" and Russia`s main channels showed the remote site today.
"The discovery is sensational not only for our republic, but because of the size of the eggs," some of which measure as long as 102 centimetres, the university said. "There have never been such large (eggs) in the world."
Russian state television showed scientists scrambling about on a rocky mountainside chipping samples off the puzzling rock formations.
"Giant eggs set to lure tourists to Chechnya," the NTV channel headlined its story.
Chechnya has been trying to cast aside its reputation as a war-torn republic plagued by rampant corruption by hosting lavish sports and entertainment events and announcing plans for a large ski resort.
But a paleontologist in Moscow questioned the authenticity of the reported discovery.
"Unfortunately, it`s not true. Dinosaurs laid small eggs," said Valentina Nazarova of the Moscow State University`s paleontology department, adding that dinosaurs probably never lived in the mountainous North Caucasus.
"Dinosaurs didn`t lay eggs while jumping about like mountain goats," she said.
"If they want to create a legend for tourists, they should have said the eggs were laid by a mythical Roc bird," she said, referring to a giant bird that features in the Arabian Nights tales.
"I am sincerely sorry for them, but I also wouldn`t want to go against science."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price