Chicken may break record for world’s tiniest egg
London: A family in UK has claimed that a two-centimetre long egg laid by their pet hen, named Twiglet, could be the smallest in the world.
The tiny egg weighs two grams, and is smaller than a 5p piece.
“It is the tiniest thing but perfectly egg-shaped,” the Sun quoted mum of three, Claire Protheroe, 35, as saying.
“You would need about 100 of them to make a small omelette.
“We have checked and there are other claims for the world record for a tiny chicken’s egg, but we think Twiglet’s is smaller. The children were excited because they thought it was like a chocolate mini-egg but it is even smaller than that.”
Three-year-old Arianna Protheroe, and her siblings Alex, 14, and Emelia, 12, have two chickens at their home in Llabelli, Wales.
And Twiglet is a legbar chicken, which means the eggs she lays are blue.
Guinness World Records lists the smallest recorded chicken egg at 2.7 centimetres.
However in August 2011, a clergyman from West Virginia in the United States claimed to have beaten it with an egg 2.1 centimetres long and weighing 3.46 grams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29