Chicken may break record for world’s tiniest egg
London: A family in UK has claimed that a two-centimetre long egg laid by their pet hen, named Twiglet, could be the smallest in the world.
The tiny egg weighs two grams, and is smaller than a 5p piece.
“It is the tiniest thing but perfectly egg-shaped,” the Sun quoted mum of three, Claire Protheroe, 35, as saying.
“You would need about 100 of them to make a small omelette.
“We have checked and there are other claims for the world record for a tiny chicken’s egg, but we think Twiglet’s is smaller. The children were excited because they thought it was like a chocolate mini-egg but it is even smaller than that.”
Three-year-old Arianna Protheroe, and her siblings Alex, 14, and Emelia, 12, have two chickens at their home in Llabelli, Wales.
And Twiglet is a legbar chicken, which means the eggs she lays are blue.
Guinness World Records lists the smallest recorded chicken egg at 2.7 centimetres.
However in August 2011, a clergyman from West Virginia in the United States claimed to have beaten it with an egg 2.1 centimetres long and weighing 3.46 grams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack