Chile aftershocks could go on for years: Scientists
Washington: Chileans will be feeling aftershocks following last week`s 8.8-magnitude earthquake for months and possibly years, scientists said Friday, as three strong tremors rocked the country.
"The larger the earthquake, the larger the aftershocks, the more of them and the longer they`re going to last," said John Bellini, a geophysicist at the US Geological Survey (USGS) in Colorado.
"They will wind down in number, but they will probably be noticeable to people for months and could go on possibly for years," he told.
Chile has been rattled by more than 200 aftershocks since the historic monster quake struck the South American country six days ago, killing some 800 people as buildings collapsed and tsunamis swept people to sea.
Several have topped 6.0 on the Richter scale, including Friday`s three tremors, which were powerful enough to cause already damaged buildings to collapse.
In Haiti, where a 7.0-magnitude reduced much of the capital Port-au-Prince to rubble in January and claimed over 200,000 lives, experts estimate there have been "dozens" of aftershocks, not hundreds as in Chile.
"One reason is because the Chile earthquake was a lot bigger than the quake in Haiti -- it released about 500 times more energy," explained USGS geophysicist Jessica Sigala.
"It`s a lot of energy that`s released, and the Earth is trying to get back to normal. In order to do that it`s still moving, and that`s what the aftershocks are." Scientists believe aftershocks could still be occurring years after the 9.1-earthquake off the coast of Indonesia in 2004, which triggered a deadly tsunami that killed around 200,000 people in South Asia.
"There was a 9.1 that happened in December 2004 and then there was an 8.6 that happened in March 2005, and occasionally today, we`ll see an earthquake in that area that may be an aftershock from the one that happened in 2004," Sigala said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes