Chilika lagoon named `destination flyways` by United Nations World Tourism Organization
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s Chilika lagoon, which is a hotspot for biodiversity, has been named `destination flyways` by United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) following its inclusion in a list of eight such sites worldwide.
Official sources said the lagoon was so named for its sustainable and resilient destination for migratory birds.
The UN`s body arm, under the project “Destination Flyways”, will help Chilika Development Authority (CDA) develop strategies for protection of migratory birds through creation of innovative tourism and livelihood products with funding support from Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety of Germany.
The UN body’s arm on tourism and biodiversity would assist in development and implementation of strategies and projects linking sustainable tourism and livelihood resources.
Chilika is the only site to be selected from Asia by the UNWTO and was recommended by six international agencies such as Secretariat of the Convention of Biological Diversity, Convention of Migratory Species, Ramsar Convention Secretariat, World Heritage and Man and the Biosphere Programmes of UNESCO.
The UNWTO has constituted a mission team for Chilika in January, which is being headed by Virginia Trapa and Dr Taej Mundkur. The team met top brass of Union Ministry of Tourism and Odisha Tourism Department during its visit to Chilika last week. They also held discussion with CDA’s Chief Executive Ajit Patnaik on the management of the lagoon.
This season, around 7.19 lakh migratory birds have been sighted in the 1100-sq km lagoon , which is less than the previous years.
Last winter, around 8.77 lakh birds of 180 species had visited the lake and 8.83 lakh birds of 167 species had visited the blue lagoon in 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?