Chimps selfish when it comes to food
London: Some things cannot be explained by evolution. Chimps and bonobos don`t share an innate sense of fairness with their closest human kin.
Keith Jensen, professor at Queen Mary`s School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, was among scientists who put the apes through a series of games.
The games were set up in a variety of different ways, involving equal portions of grapes or unequal ones.
One against the other, they had to choose whether to steal or leave the other`s grapes, the journal Biology Letters reports.
Jensen explained: "In each scenario one ape had to choose whether to steal the grapes or leave a portion of grapes for the other. We found that consistently they would steal the food without taking into account whether their action would have an effect on their partner."
"Neither the chimpanzees nor bonobos seemed to care whether food was stolen or not, or whether the outcomes were fair or not, as long as they got something," said Jensen.
"...our results indicate that our sense of fairness is a derived trait and may be unique to the human race," added Jensen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know