China acts against water polluters
Beijing: As part of a drive against water pollution, Chinese police have started targetting people who discharge unprocessed waste water into local rivers and underground waterways.
According to the Chinese public security ministry, police have made greater efforts to prosecute and punish environmental polluters.
Police have finished investigating 112 environmental pollution cases since January, the ministry said. The cases included several high-profile cases that drew wide attention across the country, Xinhua reported.
Eight suspects from ore processing plants in southwest China`s Yunnan province were arrested for allegedly discharging toxic waste water and tailings into a local river in May.
The case drew police attention after local media reported that the river water had turned milky white, possibly due to pollution. A police investigation confirmed that the pollution had affected nearby farms.
In another case, 38 suspects from 31 electroplating workshops in Hebei province were arrested for discharging unprocessed waste water into local rivers and underground waterways, causing severe heavy metal and acid pollution.
Four suspects were arrested in Hunan province for dumping 480 tonnes of toxic waste water into the local sewage system.
Last month, China`s top court and procuratorate jointly issued a new judicial explanation that imposes harsher punishments on polluters. The top legislature also discussed a draft amendment to the environmental protection law that includes harsher punishments for polluters at its bi-monthly session held in late June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands