China announces new measures to combat pollution
Sydney: China could take 18 years to bring air quality within acceptable standards, analysts have said.
China has announced new measures to combat pollution by slashing emissions from major polluting industries and holding local officials responsible.
According to news.com.au, the problem of air pollution has led to discontent across the country, with levels of particulate matter in Beijing measured at 40 times above World Health Organisation limits this year.
Deutsche Bank, in a report, said that the measures announced by the State Council, including holding local officials responsible for air quality, and reducing emissions from key polluting industries by 30 percent within five years, amount to a milestone in the country`s anti-pollution campaign.
But the bank cautioned that efforts to improve air quality `could last for 18 years`.
According to the report, Ma Jun, director of the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs, one of China`s best-known environmental advocacy groups, said the measures were `a response to public concerns`.
He said that the new measures, which include a pledge to give local leaders targets for improving air quality, could provide them with new motivation to reduce pollution.
Air pollution contributed to 1.2 million premature deaths and 25 million healthy years of life lost in China in 2010, the US-based Health Effects Institute reported in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray