China fossil site in World Heritage list
St. Petersburg: A site containing fossilised remains of 200 prehistoric marine species in China has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage list, Xinhua reported.
The Chengjiang Fossil site, located in southwestern China`s Yunnan province, was declared a World Heritage site at the 36th World Heritage Conference held here Sunday.
So far, 43 sites in China have been included in the list, Xinhua said.
Discovered in 1984, the site covers 512 hectares, and the fossil remains date back to 530 million years ago. Chengjiang throws light on the marine life of Cambrian period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!