China submersible to attempt 7,000-meter dive
Beijing: A Chinese manned deep-sea submersible Sunday left for Mariana Trench, the deepest part of the Pacific Ocean, to attempt a 7,000-meter dive.
Jiaolong, named after a mythical sea dragon and world`s first manned submersible designed to reach such depths, will attempt the feat between mid-June and early July.
It succeeded in diving 5,188 meters in the Pacific Ocean last summer, enabling China to conduct scientific surveys in 70 percent of the world`s seabed, Xinhua reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown