China to artificially breed rare golden monkeys
Beijing: After dedicating special efforts to save the panda, China is now turning its attention to the golden monkeys and is set to establish the country`s first artificial breeding base for the endangered species.
The base will be set up in the Shennongjia Nature Reserve in central China`s Hubei Province, which is home to about 1,200 golden monkeys, according to the reserve`s management bureau`s research institute.
The base will help increase the population of the endangered golden monkeys in Shennongjia by conquering key technical problems, Yang Jingyuan, director with the institute said.
Like giant pandas, golden monkeys are classified as under top level protection.
"It is still an unsolved scientific question why the golden monkeys in Shennongjia become pregnant between August and October. And the female monkeys can only deliver one cub every two years," Yang said.
He said that researchers will focus on increasing the monkey`s pregnancy probability by human assistance techniques, artificial fertilisation and nutritional regulation.
The Shennongjia golden monkeys, who live in thick forests at altitudes of between 1,680 to 3,000 metres, are on the verge of extinction.
They were first spotted in Shennongjia in the 1960s.
The first census of the golden monkeys in the 1980s revealed that only 501 of the primates lived in the area.
The golden monkeys in Shennongjia belong to the species of Rhinopithecus roxellanae, or Golden Snub-nosed Monkey, which is one of the five golden monkey species in the world.
Located in the northwestern mountains in Hubei, the Shennongjia reserve boasts rich natural forest resources and animal species.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre