China to build polar icebreaker
Beijing: China will build a polar icebreaker that would be capable of shattering ice over 1.5 metres thick, an official said.
The polar icebreaker will have a displacement of 8,000 tonnes, reported Peoples Daily.
The icebreaker would be able to operate in temperatures below -35 degrees Celsius, said Liu Cigui, an official.
It will have helicopters, robots, workboats and other facilities and will have the capability to examine marine environment as well as explore and investigate resources in the polar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport