China to build polar icebreaker
Beijing: China will build a polar icebreaker that would be capable of shattering ice over 1.5 metres thick, an official said.
The polar icebreaker will have a displacement of 8,000 tonnes, reported Peoples Daily.
The icebreaker would be able to operate in temperatures below -35 degrees Celsius, said Liu Cigui, an official.
It will have helicopters, robots, workboats and other facilities and will have the capability to examine marine environment as well as explore and investigate resources in the polar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'