China to build polar icebreaker
Beijing: China will build a polar icebreaker that would be capable of shattering ice over 1.5 metres thick, an official said.
The polar icebreaker will have a displacement of 8,000 tonnes, reported Peoples Daily.
The icebreaker would be able to operate in temperatures below -35 degrees Celsius, said Liu Cigui, an official.
It will have helicopters, robots, workboats and other facilities and will have the capability to examine marine environment as well as explore and investigate resources in the polar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi
- Punjab seeks probe into AAP funding by radicals
- One killed, 13 injured in mob-police clash in Bengal
- Odisha officials harassing man who carried wife's corpse: Complaint