China to build polar icebreaker
Beijing: China will build a polar icebreaker that would be capable of shattering ice over 1.5 metres thick, an official said.
The polar icebreaker will have a displacement of 8,000 tonnes, reported Peoples Daily.
The icebreaker would be able to operate in temperatures below -35 degrees Celsius, said Liu Cigui, an official.
It will have helicopters, robots, workboats and other facilities and will have the capability to examine marine environment as well as explore and investigate resources in the polar region.
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?