China to build polar icebreaker
Beijing: China will build a polar icebreaker that would be capable of shattering ice over 1.5 metres thick, an official said.
The polar icebreaker will have a displacement of 8,000 tonnes, reported Peoples Daily.
The icebreaker would be able to operate in temperatures below -35 degrees Celsius, said Liu Cigui, an official.
It will have helicopters, robots, workboats and other facilities and will have the capability to examine marine environment as well as explore and investigate resources in the polar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- India expects ''no issue'' over Chinese scribes'' visa row
- Sushma Swaraj to lead Indian delegation at Mother Teresa's canonisation
- SC to examine whether top officials of CM can sign files on his behalf
- Real Madrid eye Moussa Sissoko as plan B if Paul Pogba pursuit fails: Reports
- Weight loss surgeries can increase risk of fractures: Study